Finance Minister, Darlene Compton announced a $15 million increase to the Emergency Contingency Fund in anticipation of the evolving critical needs of Island families, workers and businesses. Minister Compton also outlined additional financial measures to help individuals with property tax relief through amendments to the Real Property Tax Act regulations, including the option to defer property tax payment. The measures include:
- Deferring provincial property tax and fee payments until December 31, 2020;
- Extending property assessment appeal deadlines for assessment year 2020 to December 31, 2020;
- Providing interest relief for tax year 2020, including all past due amounts;
- Suspending tax sale processes for the remainder of 2020; and
- Delaying mailing of provincial tax bills for 2020 until June.